Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sit. Stay. Do....Nothing.

I've been thinking about this for the past three weeks. For the second year in a row I was sick right before Christmas. This year, it was probably swine flu, which I don't recommend. 21 days later I am still coughing although I really do feel fine.

I know how this happens. I drive myself crazy with projects and sales conference in November. It doesn't feel like stress, but the minute I slow down my body takes its revenge. Instead of putting up decorations, I was shivering in bed with a fever. Instead of baking and eating sugar cookies, I was trying to stay hydrated (thank god for ginger ale!) Instead of taking the dogs for a romp in the good snow (light, fluffy) they had to keep me company as we all slept days away.

While it isn't a bad thing to catch up (on sleep, on TV, on the books I want to read) during the time off at Christmas, it is a bad thing to get sick in such a predictable way. It is a good thing to sit still, but you shouldn't have to be rendered immobile.

So: I am already planning on NOT getting sick next Christmas. I am planning to start those projects earlier in the year, to decorate the house right after sales conference, maybe even do some Christmas shopping. (now she's talking crazy)
Then, I plan to sit still. Healthy, and still. I will: sit in front of a fire, reading; address Christmas cards and feel free to write notes in them in a leisurely manner; reflect on the year and enjoy the fact that I am NOT sick.

I can hardly wait. I look forward to re-reading this post in the coming months. Happy New Year!

No comments: