Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Patience, my foot


I've been plagued with one of the more common effects of aging: fallen arches and the dreaded plantar fasciitis. Heel pain is annoying at the very least and sure takes the fun out of running. Or standing. So I took most of December off from agility and herding and it really seems to have helped. I am faithfully wearing my "boot" every night, stretching my ankles and calves before running, taping my foot, icing my foot (OK, about that-- I am not so faithful) and occasionally resorting to anti-inflammatory relief.
This week I have done more, and although I can feel it tonight, I really do believe I am through the worst of this. I am so looking forward to being able to run, take walks, and be generally more active this summer!
I treated myself to fancy new shoes, too. My friends Jason and Natalie (www.bestforpetsonline.com) are now stocking Ditas! They're a really nice turf shoe, but they've always been mail-order only----until now. Of COURSE they had my size. But I love them! Virtually no break-in. Good arch support. They push you up off your heels---AND even in the dirt last weekend, which was softer than usual, they kept me upright. All to the good!

No comments: